Skip to navigation


I know I have Insurance but I don’t know if I have Full Coverage.

I define “Full Coverage” as a policy of insurance that contains all of the following types of coverage:

  • Liability Coverage (also known as Bodily Injury Liability “BI” Coverage);

  • Property Damage Liability (PD) Coverage; and

  • Medical Payments Coverage; and

  • Uninsured/Underinsured (UIM) Coverage; and

  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage (UMPD); or

  • Collision Coverage.

All Ohio motorists are required to carry Liability Coverage and Property Damage Liability Coverage. Bodily Injury Liability Coverage pays on your behalf when you are at fault for the other person’s injuries up to your policy limit. The Property Damage Liability Coverage pays for the other person’s property damage when you were at fault for the collision.

The other types of coverage listed above are optional and are not included in every policy of motor vehicle insurance. Medical Payments Coverage is an optional coverage that pays you or your passengers up to a specified amount for medical expenses incurred following a collision. This coverage provides benefits no matter who is at fault for the accident.

The Uninsured/Underinsured (UIM) Coverage is an optional coverage that applies if you were struck by an uninsured motorist and/or if your damages exceed the liability limits of the at-fault driver’s insurance policy limits. Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) takes the place of the liability coverage when the negligent driver is uninsured. According to the Ohio Department of Insurance, as many as 15% of Ohio drivers break the financial responsibility law.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM) pays for injuries to you and your passengers when the other driver did not have enough insurance to pay for all of the injuries and damages. Similarly Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) pays for physical damage to your vehicle if you are struck by an uninsured motorist. Collision Coverage pays for repairs to your insured vehicle when it hits another vehicle, crashes into something or turns over. It pays no matter who causes the accident. Since collision coverage a UMPD pay for the same damages, you do not need to purchase both.

What is Comprehensive Coverage?

Comprehensive Coverage (also called “Other than Collision Coverage”) pays for losses to your insured vehicle that result from incidents that are not collisions such as theft, fire, vandalism, hail, falling objects or striking an animal.

What is Umbrella Coverage?

Many companies offer additional coverage called “umbrella coverage.” The “Umbrella Coverage” can be used to increase your liability protection beyond the limits of your auto and homeowner’s insurance policy and it can also be used to increase your Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage beyond the limits of your auto insurance policy. The average monthly cost for umbrella coverage for a $1,000,000 policy is only $25.00.

State Minimum Insurance Coverage is Increasing Soon

The current required minimum insurance coverage for Bodily Injury Liability Coverage in Ohio is $12,500 per person injured and $25,000 for all persons injured in any one accident. The required minimum for Property Damage Liability Coverage is $7,500 for injury to or destruction of the property of others in any one accident.

The Ohio General Assembly recently passed a new legislation that will increase the statutory minimum financial responsibility limits for auto insurance. The new law raises the minimum limits to $25,000 per person injured in any one accident with a $50,000 maximum for all persons injured in any one accident. The minimum Property Damage Coverage will be $25,000 for the property of others. The new law should be in place by December 22, 2013.

Request a Copy of Your Policy

If you are involved in an accident and have insurance in Ohio, you have the right to receive a copy of your insurance policy along with a copy of your declaration page. The declaration page will set forth what coverage you purchased along with the total amount of each coverage. The policy will help you understand what is and what is not covered.